To connect to the server using PuTTY, follow these steps:
- Start PuTTY by double-clicking its icon on your desktop
- The PuTTY Configuration window opens and select Sessionfrom the options on the left of the window ( it's usually selected by default when you open PuTTY ) from the Categorypanel on the left.
- In the Host Name (or IP address)enter the IP address for the server you will connect to. In thePortÂ field use the default SSH port ( 22 ). Make sure that SSHÂ is selected under Protocol(it should be selected by default).
- Click onOpen. This will open a new window with the linux Console, you should see a black screen with a cursor asking for login.
- Use your server's login username ( usually ROOT ) and hit enter on you keyboard. This will now ask for your server's password. When you are entering the password, you will not be shown the amount of characters being entered, so don't worry and write down the whole password and hit enter again.
- You will now be logged into your Linux Server